Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Recipe: Candied Bacon

This recipe kind of goes along with a previous post where I purchased some candied bacon from a local smokehouse called Lazybones Smokehouse for the Super Bowl. Well I was inspired. I wanted to be able to make my own. So I did. My only complaint with the outcome of this snack was I used regular sandwich bacon because that was what I had in my house. This resulted in still a tasty treat, but it was not meaty enough. In turn, this recipe will in turn call for thick cut bacon.

Ingredients
12 strips of thick cut bacon
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon chipotle pepper seasoning
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
a pinch of salt

Cooking Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix all spices on a plate or pie pan and press your sugar mixture onto both sides of your bacon. Once the bacon is fully coated, place it on either a broiler pan or on a wire rack on a cookie sheet. (And please, unless you want your house burnt down, make sure the cookie sheet has a rim on it. DO NOT use a flat cookie sheet.)
Place the pan in the oven for 12 min.
After 12 min, pull the pan out and flip the bacon over.
Place back into the oven for another 12 min. Watch it this time though. Not all bacons are created equal. Some have more or less fat and will cook faster than others. If you start to see real dark spots on the bacon, pull it out immediately as it is starting to burn.

So there you have it. Now you can make your own candied bacon snacks. It's quick to do, taste great and is less effort than baking cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment